We are a nation of patriots – from prior to the founding of this great county more than 240 years ago through today. We the people are our country.
So within the U.S., which states are most patriotic? This is a difficult question to answer since there are so many factors and variables in ways people show, demonstrate and act on their patriotism. To answer this challenging question, WalletHub looked at 13 metrics within two primary dimensions equally ranked 50 percent of the total score: Military Engagement and Civic Engagement. Each metric was scored on a 100 point scale, with 100 being Most Patriotic.
Military Engagement Metrics
- Average Number of Military Enlistees per 1,000 Civilian Adults Population from 2010 to 2015
- Veterans Per 1,000 Adults Population
- Active-Duty Military Personnel per 100,000 Civilian Adult Population
- Share of Civilian Adult Population in Military Reserves
Civic Engagement Metrics
- Share of Adults Who Voted in 2016 Presidential Election
- Share of Adults Who Voted in 2016 Primary Election
- Volunteer Rate
- Volunteer Hours Per Resident
- AmeriCorps Volunteers per Capita
- Peace Corps Volunteers per Capita
- Trial- and Grand-Jury Participants per Civilian Population
- Frequency of Google Searches for American Flags
- Civics Education Requirement
No doubt many of you disagree with some of these metrics and also have replacement or additional factors to include in mind. Regardless, WalletHub came up with the following top-10 ranking states based on these specific metrics. Note that among the top-10 ranked states overall, the lowest state order within the Military Engagement level was 12th. The same was not true within Civic Engagement as only two of the top-10 states ranked in the top-10 in that dimension alone.
To read the entire WalletHub article click https://wallethub.com/edu/most-patriotic-states/13680/ Do click through and take a look at the top-five and bottom-five states for each of these metrics. Some were as expected to me, and others a big surprise.
As always, the outcome of such a ranking is a function of the factors and variables selected to complete the analyses. Select different variables and no doubt the rankings would change. I for one was surprised to see that Texas was not included in the top-10, but also imagine those in every state not included in the top-10 felt the same way.
Regardless of these rankings, we as Americans are truly fortunate and blessed to be able to celebrate living in the best country of the world – the United States of America, and to freely display our patriotism and commitment. As we celebrate our Independence Day on July 4th, let’s give thanks. Thanks to those that make our freedom available — from our forefathers, leaders, military and the families’ of those who have and will serve, lead and defend this great country.
I wish a safe 4th of July to all.
God Bless America.